Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mutation

Lately I've been really wanting to get a few tattoo's which has most likely derived from a recent obsession with Kat Von D. I'm going to give it time and defiantly a lot of thought, but I do want to be Inked before the summer.
I've been talking to people, asking what they think of the tattoos, and what they think would suit me.
Almost everyone gives me the same reply.

"What piercing do you have?" 

Though I have been given the option many times in my sixteen years of life, somehow I have managed to remained completely un-peirced. No earrings, nose rings, belly button rings...or nipple rings. 
This actually comes as a surprise to many of my friends, family and whoever else knows me since I am a complete creation whore and actually design and make shit-tons of jewellery. 
A lot of people ask me why I don't have my ears pierced or more commonly why I don't have my belly button pierced, and to be perfectly honest for a really long time I did not know why. I'm hardly afraid of pain or needles (hence the need for a tattoo), and when given the chance; I am almost always drenched in an obscene amount of necklaces, bracelets, anklets and rings. 
So, why no piercings?
And, more importantly, why the sudden yearning for a tattoo?
Well, last night I was in bed thinking about this and I realized its because I believe putting holes in your body for jewellery is gross and a mutation. When you get a piercing you are technically mutating your body in the name of fashion, which is kind of strange. 
Don't get me wrong, I love piercing on other people, I just never want one myself. 
Yes, burning ink into your body can also be seen as a mutation...
And yes, its 100% permanent.
But somehow in my odd little mind, I see tattoos as an art form which uses your body as a canvas instead of the marks and coloured scars with the rebellious rock and roll connotation.
I guess I just see them as a way of self expression. 

Strange... 




Kat Von D 

No comments:

Post a Comment